Stuck for gift ideas for those particularly boozy friends or family members? For a little inspiration here is Jon’s Christmas List – there’s not a pair of socks in sight!
- The Foundry Grenache Blanc. This full-bodied white has a lovely jasmine richness and was voted South Africa’s best white wine this year. A bargain compared to its old-world rivals and a great introduction to the wines of this country, which are growing in interest and complexity each year. £15
- Newton Johnson Family Vineyards Pinot Noir. First class Pinot from one of South Africa’s best specialist producers. It’s also the perfect Turkey accompaniment! Another great find from my recent whistle-stop tour of vineyards in this beautiful country. £30
- Macymyra 10 – Swedish single malt whisky par excellence – and they now import to us direct so the price has recently come down to £60
- Quinta do Vesuvio Late Bottled Vintage Port. A super-famous estate in the Douro really delivers with this delicious top quality LBV. £20
- Four Pillars Navy Strength Gin. All the way from Australia but worth it for this intensely flavoured gin which would make a great gift for all those gin collectors out there. The key botanical is Finger Lime. £50
- Domain Ferrand Chateauneuf du Pape. For when only the best will do. This is lavish wine – powerful, supple, spicy and super-smooth in the mouth. Make sure whoever you buy this for drinks it with you! £38
- Cave du Turckheim Mayerling Brut from Alsace. Made from Pinot Blanc this is a cracking value sparkler with heaps more cut and interest than Prosecco for a very fair £16
- Rizzardi 3em Cru Amarone. A superb full, rich and deliciously savoury Amarone wine from the Veneto. £38
- Vincent Gaudry Chante Cigale Sancerre. A biodynamic and brilliant lean and tangy Sancerre, the biodynamics adds a lovely extra edge of complexity to this super-fresh wine. £26
- Scarlet Wines Gift Vouchers. These vouchers can be used in our wine and spirits shop and deli, and also our cafe – making them a great way to gift an experience rather than more ‘stuff’.
We hope you find one of the above under your tree this Christmas…